Saturday, January 7, 2012

Cottonbowl Adventure

Good experiences don't come often and when they do you have to make the most of them no matter the outcome.  I had a great experience this past weekend.  I took Thursday and Friday off of work this week only after being back on Wednesday.  It was nice to be able to go without any worries.  We left Thursday morning to go and get my grandma in Manhattan.  Left at 9am and arrived in Manhattan at 10:45.  Love that the speed on the highway has changed to 75, and there wasn't much traffic on I-70 so it was really simple to get there.  After picking her up we then had to drive back to Topeka to the Topeka airport.  We got there by noon and had an hour to kill so we went to the cafe at the airport for lunch.  Not the best food, but it satisfied our hunger pangs. 

We headed back over to the hangar at 1:00.  Our friends were already there getting the jet ready to take off.  Dalton was super excited and really wanted to get on the jet as soon as we got there.  However, we were still about 30 minutes away from takeoff.  We finally boarded at 1:30 and were in the air shortly after that.  Anyone that knows me knows that I have high anxiety when it comes to flying.  I hate being up in the air, but because of my son I had to have a brave face.  However, this trip was actually one of my better ones, probably because I knew the pilot.  I felt safe in the air and only had to deal with my son being scared.  He was super excited until the plane started going really fast and then went up in the air.  He grabbed my leg and then was holding on to the cup holder for dear life, but he eventually relaxed and did some homework and of course talked the whole way.  Not sure where he gets it from!!!! :) 

We finally landed at Aviation Landmark in Dallas, TX around 3:10.  It was much nicer than driving there.  My parents picked us up at the airport and then took us to the hotel.  I'm not sure you can call the The Westin a hotel, it was extremely nice.  The mall was attached to it so it was huge.  I don't remember how many floors there were, but we were on the 16th floor, which was really high.  The room was gorgeous and the view was magnificent.  We didn't get to hang out at the hotel for very long because we had to head over to the Rangers Stadium for the K-State pep rally.  It was about a 30 minute drive from the hotel and of course we hit rush hour traffic.  The pep rally was filled with people, there was no where for us to sit so we had to stand.  The pep rally was good, but too long for Dalton.  The cocktails afterwards were great though.  We went to the Diamond Club in Rangers Stadium for the party.  It was awesome; they handed us Raspberry champagne as soon as we walked in the door, which of course made it purple.  There were people all over the place and buffet lines galore.  There was cheese, spinach dip, buffalo chicken, cookies, brownies, etc.  It was so good.  We got home before 10, which was nice.

The next day we had free time until 3:30.  I really wanted to go to the aquarium, however it was 14 miles from the hotel, we would have needed to take a taxi cab and unfortunately in Dallas, cabs are expensive.  It was going to cost us $60 one way, which is absolutely ridiculous.  So instead we just walked around the mall.  We only went in a few shops, but I had the most delectable ice cream (peanut butter cups, reeses pieces, and a scoop of peanut butter); blew my diet with that meal.  We went back to our room to nap and wait for 3:30 to roll around.  Then we headed over to Jerry's World aka Cowboy's Stadium!!!!

This is where the story gets exciting.  We got to the stadium and made our way down to the club level.  I've never been inside the workings of a stadium, it was awesome.  It was a long walk, but we finally made it.  There was complimentary food and drinks being served and we got to see the field right in front of us.  Dalton was in heaven.  He stood at the gate and just stared and stared.  I even got a picture of him touching the field.  He was super excited.  We got to be down there until 6:30 which was awesome because we got to see so many things.  Dalton was watching the jumbo tron above and Fox Sports News came over and starting video taping him.  They said it would air later, but no one ever saw him on the tv, which was a bummer.  Then Willie the Wildcat came over and Dalton got him to autograph his shirt.  It was awesome and we all took a picture with him.  Then a special guest by the name of Eric Stonestreet (aka Cameron on Modern Family) came over.  I had my sharpie ready for him to sign my ticket and as I got ready to hand him my sharpie he said "I have my own, would you like me to sign your pen?"  I laughed and said no, would you sign my ticket.  Funny guy.  Not only was Dalton in heaven with all the excitement, but I was too.  Never had an actor's autograph before. 

At 6:30 we had to go up to our seats which were in Section 336 and right on the 50 yd line.  We had a great view of the field and the jumbo tron.  The bad news is K-State didn't win, but to me that's only a minor problem.  The excitement of just being there was enough.  There is always next year, so I'm not worried; this was a year to build and I think they need a little more confidence in themselves.  Left the game a little early to avoid traffic which was a good plan, but didn't get home until 11:40.  Dalton was out in the car, woke him up to make it upstairs and then he was out again.  Big day with great adventures. 

We left Saturday morning after breakfast at the hotel for the airport.  We were early and had time to kill.  Wasn't long before Noel and Mary and the rest of the crew showed up and we were ready to go.  Quick flight back to Topeka and we were on our way to Manhattan to drop my grandma back off.  Then back home to KC.  Happy trails and EMAW no matter what the outcome!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment